Pollinator Day at Nativity Lutheran Church
- CFS handed out seed packets
- Held seed exchange and had sign-up for another seed exchange in spring
- The city is dedicated to continue improving city plantings
- Folks can still apply for pollinator garden funds (city has $5000 to offer to residents)–fill out the application and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- CFS members were invited to circle problem intersections on an SAV map for the Parks Commission
- Hennepin and Ramsey Counties presented on Active Living could use our help tying bike/walking paths together
Silver Lake Village Neighborhood Association
- Association just started up. Neighborhood borders: Stinson Blvd, Silver Ln, Silver Lake Rd, 37th Ave NE
- Upcoming event: Cleanup of Salo pond area (April 23rd)
- Event supplies: Will approach city and Inland
- Additional Event Volunteers: Ask Inland’s commercial tenants
- City tie-in: Bring in police and fire for community education and show of city support
- Idea: Seek Adopt-a-park status?
Model Energy Remodel in SAV
- Retrofitting standard home to make it energy and water efficient
- Began with a U of M class assessment
- Event dates are not yet set, will allow the public to review the project and at least one other home with solar panels installed
- Kristin will provide a handout of building envelope and mechanicals tips (related to the house upgrades)
Solar Sub-group Update
- Solar Power Hour in Roseville
- Event overview–reiterated solar best practices:
- Make efficiency updates to reduce needed solar system size
- Install solar panels
- Event overview–reiterated solar best practices:
- Perhaps CFS should encourage a city ordinance for Solar Ready roofs on homes like California? (protrusions on North-facing parts of roof, etc.)
- LEGO leagues group from December went on to win state competition
- Their key takeaway is instead of mining virgin materials, reclaim precious materials from unused/old/broken electronics given their speed of replacement
- Wilshire Park, St. Charles, and Nativity students have implemented cell phone collection
- Tech Dump will be part of the SAV city cleanup in May
Questions and Comments
- Why do they aerate Silver Lake?
- To improve water quality? Kristin will check
- Why is one pond low in Salo park?
- We don’t know
- Look for an SAV Community Service gardening course–taught by a CFS member!
- Tips for encouraging an associate to replace lawn with native plantings?
- Committee has worked with Metro Blooms, try Rich Harrison
- Ways to improve Salo Park?
- Inland has a good opportunity to develop park/pond area with the city
- Is it possible to develop it into a better green space?
- It’s probably time to create a sub-group for Salo Park
- People would be more willing to volunteer if they knew the city was supportive
- Community Garden interest renewed?
- Yes, but only if land is available
- Member suggested looking on Silver Ln
- April 11: Parks Commission Visioning Session
- Bring up Salo Park – Inland
- June __: SAV Comprehensive Plan meeting
- City’s major points will each be covered
- CFS should propose priorities for the Comprehensive Plan
- US Green Building Council will be present
- Can we build a list of, say, 10 priorities for the city?
- Solar! (Paul, Dan, Kristin)
- Green space! (Lona) – aesthetics, native plantings, rain gardens
- Bike/walk! (Mary, Kara, Becky)
- Add water stewards group? (Idelle) – water quality?
- How do we find out who in CFS is interested in what?
- Send an email to the full group to vote on our favorite topics
- Create a half-sheet with these priorities to bring to community meetings
- Met Council will be looking for equity discussion in SAV comp plan
- title 6, ADA, age discrimination act, health impacts
- CFS could create a sub-group for transportation more broadly
- Keith Ellison’s team will bring in community members (District 5) on an evening or a weekend
- Contact Mary to be alerted to this meeting
- For April 9 CFS meeting:
- breakout sessions for each of the subgroups to use to develop top talking points.
- For May 14 CFS meeting:
- finalize/focus list
- North side of Stinson, there was a building torn down near Prestemon Park. Why?
- Will be built into dental office
- developer has agreed to connect Stinson to the park
- Encourage building managers to provide shopping carts to residents near grocery stores (equity)
- Issues to bring up with legislators
- Reestablishment of the Citizens Review Board of the PCA
- Gathering stances on the PolyMet mine
- Reminder about Emerald Ash Borer: the state has made funds available to cities
- For homeowners: visit arrest the pest or 1-888-545-6684
- SAV will become a Tree City USA in 2016
- Nat’l arbor day foundation backed
- $2/capita city spending on trees
- part of the comprehensive plan
- When planning commission, parks commission, city council have openings, we should share within CFS
- For CFS Calendar: Add a reminder every every September to check for openings on the planning and parks commission
Items to communicate to our list
- Create a form (with an ‘other’ option) for the subgroups
- Bring a comprehensive list to June meeting
- EAB Arrest the pest: http://www.mda.state.mn.us/arrestthepest (1-888-545-6684)