SEF News-Views Digest No. 176 (7-26-17)
Clifton Ware, Editor-Publisher
This issue marks a return to the weekly delivery of yore. The every-other week publishing schedule worked well for the past three months, but two issues ago I began reducing the descriptions of articles to about half of the wording used previously. This approach has resulted in a reduced time commitment, so, for now, we’ll return to weekly issues—except for occasional timeout breaks.
Another reason for publishing this issue is to reemphasize and highlight the very special, first-time Transition US National Gathering, which will be held at Macalester College July 27-31. Continue reading Transitioning Ahead, July 27-30 – SEF News-Views Digest
Village Fest (4th parade, 5th for booth)
- Parade: Ask if walkers are interested
- 3 messages: Organics, city council, electric cars
- Tent (Kristin)
- Which electric cars
- Lona will get spots for cars and
- Hauling it
- Compost bin
- Lona will bring examples of home compost
- Questions for city council survey below
- table-sized paper with markers
- “What questions do you have for the city about your environmental concerns?”
- Suggestion box
- Clipboards with questions
- Display city email address
- Transportation Multi-modal
- Bike (electric)–Mary and Clif talking to bike shops
- Electric Vehicles
Surveying city council candidates
- what questions could we ask of a city council/school board candidate?
- We’re a citizen committee, you’re welcome to come to our September meeting, but we have some questions
- Use Village Fest to generate questions
- are there any folks in CFS interested?
- Dan will write up a blurb about local engagement being a good way to get policy change
- http://www.savmn.com/256/Elections Get involved in Two city council positions are up in the fall, applications are ___
- Ask city to make city council commitment clearer
Review of Transition Forum event
- Lona and Dan provided a summary of the event
- Meeting in people’s homes
- Having guest speakers
- Reach out to elder neighbors
- Go to transition town national: http://www.transitionus.org
Updates from projects/sub-committees
- Ecology Club will happen at Elementary and Middle
- Jay and Erin met about water conservation campaign
- Laura (school board)
- Parks Commission presentation (Lona)
- Propose a Parks Commission name change
- Should we become part of the Parks Commission?
- No, but we should attend every Parks Commission meeting
- Propose a regular environmental update
- Sustainability Fair
Village Fest booth: Michael will do early shift.
Registration for Parade/Booth
City Council candidates
SEF News-Views Digest No. 174 (7-5-17)
Clifton Ware, Editor-Publisher
Citizens for Sustainability Transition Forum
Helping Our Community Transition To A Sustainable Future
Sat., July 8, 3-4:30 p.m.
St. Anthony Village City Hall Council Chambers, 3301 Silver Lake Rd.
Leslie McKenzie, presenter
Assisted by Tim Jordan and Michael Russelle
Leslie Mackenzie, a writer-editor, serves as Community Organizer with Transition Twin Cities (https://transitiontwincities.org/tcgroups/). She is a active leader in Transition Longfellow, a community in south Minneapolis. She as also been active with the Tapestry Folkdance Center and FindLaw, a Thomson Reuters Business. Leslie leads transition workshops, and serves as the Twin Cities coordinator for the first Transition US National Gathering, which will be held at Macalester College in St. Paul, July 27-31.
Continue reading Transition To a Sustainable Future – SEF News-Views Digest